FIRST REGIMENT MISSISSIPPI COLORED CAVALRY
Designation of Regiment changed to 3rd U. S. Colored Cavalry
March 11, 1864
- Organized at Vicksburg, Mississippi, October 9, 1863
- Attached to 1st Brigade, United States Colored Troops, District of
Vicksburg, Miss., Dept. of the Tennessee, to April, 1864.
- Winslow's Cavalry Brigade, District of Vicksburg, to December, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee. to January,
- Unattached Cavalry, District of West Tennessee to June, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee, to January,
NOTE: The 1st Mississippi Cavalry (African Descent) was organized October 9,
1863 to March 1, 1864 at Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- Duty at Vicksburg, Miss., and in that District till December, 1864.
- Action at Roach's Plantation, Miss., March 30.
- Columbus, Ky., April 11 and 13 (Detachment).
- Expedition from Haines' Bluff up Yazoo River April 19-23.
- Near Mechanicsburg April 20.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Yazoo City May 4-21.
- Benton May 7 and 9.
- Yazoo City May 13.
- Near Vicksburg June 4.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Pearl River July 2-10.
- Jackson July 7.
- Utica July 13.
- Grand Gulf July 16.
- Bayou Tensas, La, August 26.
- Expedition from Goodrich Landing to Bayou Macon August 28-31.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Deer Creek September 21-26.
- Near Rolling Fork September 22-23.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Rodney and Fayette September 29-October 3.
- Expedition from Natchez to Woodville October 4-11.
- Fort Adams October 5.
- Woodville October 5-6.
- Operations in Issaqueena and Washington Counties October 21-31.
- Steele'e Bayou October 23.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Gaines' Landing, Ark., and Bayou Macon, La,
- Rolling Fork November 11.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Yazoo City November 23- December 4.
- Big Black River Bridge November 27.
- Moved to Memphis, Tenn.
- Grierson's Expedition from Memphis, Tenn., to destroy Mobile & Ohio
Railroad December 21, 1864-Jannary 5, 1865.
- Franklin Creek December 21- 22, 1864.
- Okolona December 27.
- Egypt Station. December 28.
- Franklin January 2, 1885.
- Moved to Memphis from Vicksburg, Miss., January 5-10.
- Duty at Memphis and in District of West Tennessee till April.
- Expedition from Memphis to Brownsville, Miss., April 23-26.
- Moved to Vicksburg April 29-May 1 and operating about Natchez for the
capture of Jeff Davis May.
- Operations about Fort Adams May 3-6.
- Duty in District of West Tennessee and Dept. of Mississippi till January,
- Mustered out January 26, 1866.
Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
Frederick H. Dyer. A COMPENDIUM OF THE WAR OF THE REBELLION. 3
Volumes. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
William A.Gladstone. MEN OF COLOR. Gettysburg: Thomas Publications,
United States War Department. THE WAR OF THE REBELLION: A Compilation
of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. 128 Volumes.
Washington: Government Printing Office, 1880-1901.
RETURN TO CIVIL WAR
Bennie J. McRae, Jr.